It's no secret that I'm a bit obsessed with essential oils. Not only do they smell good, but they empower me to take my health and wellness into my own hands. These powerful plant juices have replaced most chemical-laden over the counter products in my house (from deodorant to laundry detergent to toothpaste, just to name a few). If I have a headache, upset stomach, sports injury, can't sleep, feel nervous, gloomy, or need a productivity boost, I have an oil for that. Seriously, these bad boys take care of nearly everything short of my dishes. I have learned over years of experience that Young Living Essential Oils are the highest quality oils on the market and use them exclusively.
Here are a few of my favorite ways to use essential oils!
1. For Sleep! Sound sleep has been a life long quest for me and the primary reason I got into essential oils in the first place. I have found my personal sleep potion that I swear by. I diffuse it so much at night, that my bedroom smells like this blend. I also have a linen spray that I spray my pillows with at night with the same oils. Lavender, Vetiver, and SleepyIze together is my personal happy place. Give it a try, I think you'll love it.....
2. On Dryer Balls No more toxic dryer sheets (or detergent) in my crib! Yalla bye as they say in Arabic. I looooove my dryer balls so much. In fact one of my favorite gifts to give people now are a set of dryer balls with a bottle of essential oil. I have gone through phases with scents, with Lemongrass reigning at the top of the list. I love the fresh, clean, earthy bright scent of lemongrass and find that the scent sticks around longer than other oils. However, my most recent discovery is Palmarosa, which makes my clothes smell like a bouquet of roses. In between loads of laundry, my dryer balls live in my sock drawer, which now also smells like fresh laundry.
3. On my Diffuser Necklace I got this bad boy for a few people for Christmas, and of course, had to get myself one too. Total game changer. It has two lava beads, which I put one drop of essential oil on in the morning and the scent lasts between 6-8 hours. If I'm feeling like I need some liquid courage, I use my good friend, Valor, if I'm feeling blue, Bergamot, if I need grounding, Frankincense, and if I'm dragging a bit, Peppermint. Endless options for my essential oil homies to have my back.
4. Immunity What is the #1 oil I cannot be without? Thieves. Easy. Thieves is the immunity heavy hitter oil, named after a gang of grave robbers who successfully used this blend to rob plague victims and not get sick themselves. I dilute Thieves with coconut oil at a 1:4 ratio and place a few drops on the arch of my feet twice a day. The flu? Not gonna happen. Sharing germs with all the random bodies I touch in a day as a yoga teacher, mmmno.
5. Cleaning My love for Thieves runs deep, and lucky for me, there is an entire line of non-toxic cleaning products based on Thieves essential oil. Whoop!! I love the whole line, but my favorite is the Thieves Household Cleaner. It is totally plant-based, smells like Thieves oil (cinnamon, clove, lemon, etc) and works freakishly well. It comes in concentrate form, which can be used for the dirtier jobs like cleaning bath tubs or it can be diluted 1:30 with water and used to clean surfaces. At the rate I'm going through my bottle, it will probably last me close to three years.
6. Yoga I use essential oils in almost all of my yoga classes now. I love weaving in different oils depending on my theme, mood, the weather, or what I think my students will like. I love to use Frankincense for meditation, Orange or Grapefruit when it's gloomy outside, Peppermint if people seem low energy, RC (Respiratory Care) to open the airways in the beginning of class, or Panaway for sore muscles. There are endless options for creativity here and the oils provide a special touch for my yogis.
7. Natural Beauty I have replaced SO many over the counter products with essential oils, its pretty insane. Some of my favorite easy & effective DIYs are: Mermaid Hairspray (Cedarwood, Lavender, Rosemary & Tea Tree with a splash of Witch Hazel and water) makes my hair so healthy and soft, body oil (in the winter, I use Sunflower Oil, Avocado Oil and Cardamom Essential Oil)... bye bye phthalates, parabens, triclosan, aluminum, talc and all the other nastiness I don't need in my personal care products.
8. Cooking! OMGz total game changer in the kitchen. I am obsessed with cinnamon to the extent that I have scoured the country's best spice shops to find the cinnamon that had that highest essential oil content and thus the sharpest flavor (no joke). Then I realized that I could just use Cinnamon essential oil instead, which adds a flavor explosion like you won't even believe!! I go immediately to a happy place every morning with my apple cinnamon oatmeal or porridge. I love cooking with the Young Living Vitality oils, including Fennel, Thyme, Oregano (amazing for immunity), Ginger, Nutmeg, Clove, Rosemary, and more. Not only do you get a flavor pop when cooking with oils, but you also benefit from their medicinal properties. Using essential oils in the kitchen has taken my cooking and eating experiences to another level.
I could go on and on and on, but I will cut myself off here. If you want to chat oils, hit me up. I order every month and would be happy to share my discount with you. If you are interested in learning more about essential oils, join me for my upcoming Essential Oils 101 workshop at Yoga Works Dupont Circle, or shoot me a note and I will add you to my Essential Oils 101 e-course, where you will receive a daily email for two weeks. If you're ready to jump in and get started, head on over to my website to learn all about Young Living's Premium Starter Kit. The kit comes with a diffuser of your choice + 11 essential oils + all kinds of other awesome perks and benefits. The best way to get rollin' Yay!