Morocco Mindful Travel + Art Retreat
1 spot left! Register by September 15th!
This retreat will be a special and intimate experience lead by Nicole Griffin and hosted by Maison28 Marrakech. Throughout our 11-days and 10-nights together, you will enjoy exclusive, off-the-beaten path tours to discover the creative heartbeat of Morocco.
This trip begins at Maison28, in the heart of the Marrakech medina, and then winds down south through ancient cultures and kasbahs, and culminates under the stars in the Sahara Desert.
During our trip, we will visit and learn from local artisans and stewards of Morocco’s famous craft culture. You will enjoy private tours, opportunities to learn and deeply connect with Moroccan culture, and hands-on creative workshops.
If you are a creative, curious, and adventurous traveler looking for a special and highly-curated experience, you are in the right place.
There will be daily mindfulness elements infused to nourish our bodies and minds as we connect, discover, and expand (see more details below).
- A guided tour of historic sites in Marrakesh with a professional photographer and guide
- Private visit with a women’s weaving collective in the Atlas Mountains
- A guided hike in the foothills of the Atlas Mountains and a home-cooked tagine lunch
- Exclusive souq (market) tour that focuses on meeting Moroccan artisans and shopping
- Visit with the founder of 1001 Artisans to learn about the work they do to support vulnerable craftspeople
- Guided tour of Ait Ben Haddou, a UNESCO Heritage Site and traditional kasbah
- Exclusive tour and lunch at the historic Kasbah des Caids
- Private concert with Daraa Tribes, a fusion of ancestral tribal music and Saharan Blues at Kasbah Aitisfoul
- Hands-on art workshop at Aitisfoul
- One night spent in a luxury tent in a private camp in the Sahara Desert
- Traditional Moroccan music around the campfire in the Sahara
- Sunset camel ride in the Sahara Desert
- Sunrise over the dunes in the Sahara
- Yoga Nidra under the Sahara stars
- Carpet shopping in the traditional weaving town of Tazenakht
- Daily mindfulness and nervous system regulation practices
Cultural Immersion & Mindful Travel
In attending this retreat you will benefit the local economy of Morocco in many meaningful ways. We are intentionally including opportunities to support local communities and artisans. A portion of the proceeds of this retreat will be donated to support vulnerable artisans.
Nicole has a BA in Art History with a concentration in Islamic Art History as well as an International MBA. She lived in Morocco during grad school while she was studying Arabic and fell in love with the country. Nicole is passionate about creating opportunities for Americans to experience the beauty and wonder of the Islamic world while offering intentional support throughout the journey.
On her retreats, meaningful cultural immersion and mindful travel are emphasized. Nicole is also a board-certified health and wellness coach and a trauma-informed yoga and mindfulness instructor.
Read more here: Why Mindful Travel Matters (by Nicole)
Travel is Wellness
Nicole’s retreats are designed to infuse a sense of purpose, intention, and community. They are based on the belief that travel expands our minds and hearts, sharpens our perspective, de-conditions our prejudices, and catalyzes our growth.
According to a poll done by Booking.com, 79% of travelers reported that travel helps their mental and emotional wellbeing more than other types of self-care. The National Wellness Institute defines wellness as “an active process through which people become aware of, and make choices toward, a more successful existence.”
Nicole believes that wellness encompasses our sense of purpose and connection as well as our values and vision. It represents an integration of mind, body, spirit, and soul. As such, travel has the potential to contribute to our wellness in ways that few other things can.
Read more here: Re-thinking Wellness Travel (by Nicole)
Daily Mindfulness + Nervous System Care
Each morning in Marrakech, we will spend about 30-minutes together before heading out for our daily adventures. This time will consist of some gentle mindful movement (example here) as well as breathwork and mindfulness practices. No experience is required! This time is meant for us to come together intentionally as a group and to support our bodies, minds, and nervous systems as we travel.
As we travel down south, I will begin to offer restorative evening practices. These are meant to help us integrate our travel experiences and soothe our bodies and minds as the pace of our retreat becomes more spacious.
All daily practices are optional!
$200 per booking will go to support the following charities:
- 1001 Artisans – a Moroccan NGO aiming to revive endangered traditional Moroccan crafts. 1001 Artisans puts craftsmen and craftswomen at the centre of its strategy to safeguard traditional know-how and pass on skills to the next generations.
The Sahara offers a profound experience of spaciousness, stillness, and peace. It is a place that will stay with you forever and perhaps even deeply move you. The sky is dark and clear, perfect for stargazing and watching the sunrise and sunset. You may even feel like your inner child is suddenly free and running or rolling down the magnificent sand dunes!
This Trip is Perfect For You If:
- You are a seasoned, mindful traveler who likes to explore new places in a group of like-minded people
- You are curious, creative, appreciate getting off the typical tourist track and value meaningful cultural immersions and intimate interactions with local people
- You want to see the MENA region with someone who has lived there, knows the culture deeply and has spent 15 years building relationships and curating extra-special experiences (that’s me!)
- You care about social impact and responsible, ethical travel and want to give back to the communities and people you interact with while traveling
- You value wellness and mindfulness and appreciate taking some time each day to care for your body, mind, and nervous system
- You see meaningful travel and cultural immersion as being essential to your overall well-being
- You are adaptable and can roll with some uncertainty
- You are up for an adventure!