Embark on an unforgettable journey and immerse yourself in the art of mindful travel as we seamlessly blend daily adventures with the restorative power of gentle yoga.
This exclusive retreat provides the perfect sanctuary to rejuvenate your body and mind, surrounded by like-minded travelers seeking adventure and restoration. Immerse yourself in beautiful landscapes, connect with diverse cultures, and experience the harmonious synergy of travel and mindful restoration.
Discover Explore & Restore: Gentle Yoga for Mindful Travelers, a proprietary practice exclusively offered through Nicole Griffin’s retreats. The transformative magic of the Explore & Restore practice gently guides you towards inner peace, enhanced self-awareness, and a deeper connection to your surroundings.
This unique approach creates an inspiring and nurturing environment, allowing you to cultivate mindfulness, reduce stress, and release tension, leaving you feeling grounded and revitalized.
As the mastermind behind the Explore & Restore technique, Nicole combines her extensive expertise as a yoga and mindfulness teacher and intrepid traveler to craft intentional and transformative retreats.
With a deep care for curating meaningful travel adventures and her unique blend of mindfulness, cultural immersion, and wellness, Nicole has developed an unparalleled experience that nurtures both body and soul, offering travelers an enriching and life-changing experience like no other.
Step into your truest self, one mindful adventure at a time, with Nicole’s intentional and exclusive retreats.
- Evening walk in the local village + visit Douar Sbiti Association to learn about the region surrounding the retreat center
- Visit to Andre Heller’s famous Anima Gardens
- Visit to Le Safran Paradis, a local saffron farm with a mindfulness garden
- Guided tour of Marrakech historic sites with a professional guide
- Exclusive private tour of an Amazigh women’s weaving studio (or “loom room”) tucked away in the Atlas Mountains
- Guided hike and carpet shopping in Imlil, a beautiful mountain village in the Atlas
- Private concert of African kora music at Bab Zouina
- Pottery making class + tour of a traditional pottery village
- Moroccan cooking class + dinner at Ourika Organic Kitchen
- Optional hot air balloon ride
- One free day to rest or explore on your own
Cultural Immersion and Mindful Travel
In attending this retreat you will benefit the local economy of Morocco in many meaningful ways. We are intentionally including opportunities to support local communities and artisans. A portion of the proceeds of this retreat will be donated to support local charities.
Nicole has a BA in Art History with a concentration in Islamic Art History as well as an International MBA. She lived in Morocco during grad school while she was studying Arabic and fell in love with the country. Nicole is passionate about creating opportunities for Americans to experience the beauty and wonder of the Islamic world while offering intentional support throughout the journey. On her retreats, meaningful cultural immersion and mindful travel are emphasized.
Nicole is also a board-certified health and wellness coach and a trauma-informed yoga and mindfulness instructor.
Read more here: Why Mindful Travel Matters (by Nicole)
Travel is Wellness
Nicole’s retreats are designed to infuse a sense of purpose, intention, and community. They are based on the belief that travel expands our minds and hearts, sharpens our perspective, de-conditions our prejudices, and catalyzes our growth.
According to a poll done by Booking.com, 79% of travelers reported that travel helps their mental and emotional wellbeing more than other types of self-care. The National Wellness Institute defines wellness as “an active process through which people become aware of, and make choices toward, a more successful existence.”
Nicole believes that wellness encompasses our sense of purpose and connection as well as our values and vision. It represents an integration of mind, body, spirit, and soul. As such, travel has the potential to contribute to our wellness in ways that few other things can.
Read more here: Re-thinking Wellness Travel (by Nicole)
Daily Mindfulness + Nervous System Support
Nicole’s has developed her proprietary Explore and Restore practice over the course of 15 years of immersive travel in the MENA region + 10 years of teaching yoga + 5 years of leading retreats.
Each morning, we will spend about 30-minutes together before heading out for our daily adventures. This time will consist of some gentle mindful movement (example here) as well as intentional breathing and mindfulness practices. This time will allow us to gather intentionally as a group to center and meet the day with presence and resilience.
Our evening restorative practices are designed to help us digest and integrate our travel experiences and to support our bodies, minds, and nervous systems as we travel.
No experience is required, these practices are designed to be accessible for everyone.
- Douar Sbiti Association – Douar Sbiti is the village surrounding Bab Zouina, our retreat center. The association oversees sustainable development initiatives, which include access to drinking water, opportunities for local children to receive education, and economic opportunities for women and girls.
- Education for All – Very few girls from rural communities in Morocco get the opportunity to continue their education after primary school. In fact, in rural areas, up to 83% of women are illiterate. To help tackle this, EFA, a Moroccan NGO, is building and running girls’ boarding houses near secondary schools, so girls from rural families can continue their education.
Sahara Extension Trip
March 23-28, 2024
The Sahara offers a profound experience of spaciousness, stillness, and peace. It is a place that will stay with you forever and perhaps even deeply move you. The sky is dark and clear, perfect for stargazing and watching the sunrise and sunset. You may even feel like your inner child is suddenly free and running or rolling down the magnificent sand dunes.
This Retreat is Perfect for You If:
- You are a seasoned, mindful traveler who likes to explore new places in a group of like-minded people
- You are curious, creative, appreciate getting off the typical tourist track and value meaningful cultural immersions and intimate interactions with local people
- You want to see the MENA region with someone who has lived there, knows the culture deeply and has spent 15 years building relationships and curating extra-special experiences (that’s me!)
- You care about social impact and responsible, ethical travel and want to give back to the communities and people you interact with while traveling
- You value wellness and mindfulness and appreciate taking some time each day to care for your body, mind, and nervous system
- You see meaningful travel and cultural immersion as being essential to your overall well-being
- You are adaptable and can roll with some uncertainty
- You are up for an adventure!