Morocco Art & Culture Retreat
This Moroccan retreat will be a special and intimate experience lead by Nicole Griffin and hosted by Maison28 Marrakech. Throughout our 10-days and 11-nights together, you will enjoy exclusive, off-the-beaten path tours to discover the creative heartbeat of Morocco.
This trip begins at Maison28, in the heart of the Marrakech medina, and then winds down south through ancient cultures and kasbahs, and culminates under the stars in the Sahara Desert.
During our trip, we will visit and learn from local artisans and stewards of Morocco’s famous craft culture. You will enjoy private tours, hands-on creative workshops and opportunities to learn and deeply connect with Moroccan culture.
We will be in Morocco during the holy month of Ramadan, which offers a unique and intimate opportunity to experience Moroccan Islamic traditions firsthand.
If you are a creative, curious, and adventurous traveler looking for a special and highly-curated experience, you are in the right place.
While this is not a yoga retreat, there will be mindfulness elements infused to nourish our bodies and souls as we explore and expand (see more below).
Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is not required for this trip, but you will need to comply with Moroccan entry requirements (currently, you must provide proof of vaccination or negative PCR test within 72 hours to enter the country, but this is subject to change with time).
The maximum capacity for this trip is 7, so book soon!
- A guided tour of historic sites in Marrakesh + a private historical photo tour
- Traditional Iftar dinner (breaking of the fast during Ramadan)
- Evening Ramadan celebration at the Koutobia Mosque
- Private visit with a women’s weavers collective in the Atlas Mountains
- A guided hike in the foothills of the Atlas Mountains and a home-cooked tagine lunch
- Exclusive souq (market) tour that focuses on meeting Moroccan artisans
- Artisan-led painted wood (zouak) workshop
- Traditional Moroccan hammam/massage
- Guided tour of Ait Ben Haddou, a UNESCO Heritage Site and traditional kasbah
- Exclusive tour and lunch at the historic Kasbah des Caids
- Visit traditional pottery artists at Tamegroute
- Private concert with Daraa Tribes, a fusion of ancestral tribal music and Saharan Blues at Kasbah Aitisfoul
- One night spent in a luxury tent in a private camp in the Sahara Desert
- Traditional Moroccan music around the campfire in the Sahara
- Sunset camel ride in the Sahara Desert
- Sunrise over the dunes with coffee in the Sahara
- Carpet shopping in the traditional weaving town of Tazenakht
Cultural Immersion & Mindful Travel
In attending this retreat you will benefit the local economy of Morocco in many meaningful ways. We are intentionally including opportunities to support local communities and artisans. A portion of the proceeds of this retreat will be donated to benefit the artists we interact with.
Nicole has a BA in Art History with a concentration in Islamic Art History as well as an International MBA. She lived in Morocco during grad school while she was studying Arabic and fell in love with the country. Nicole is passionate about creating opportunities for Americans to experience the beauty and wonder of the Islamic world while offering support throughout the journey. On her retreats, meaningful cultural immersion and mindful travel are emphasized. Nicole is also a board-certified health and wellness coach and a trauma-informed yoga and mindfulness instructor.
Read more about Nicole’s retreat philosophy here.
Read more about mindful travel here: Why Mindful Travel Matters
Travel = Wellness
Nicole’s retreats are designed to infuse a sense of purpose, belonging, community, and mindfulness. They are based on the belief that travel expands our minds and hearts, sharpens our perspective, deconditions our prejudices, and catalyzes our growth.
According to a poll done by Booking.com, 79% of travelers reported that travel helps their mental and emotional wellbeing more than other types of self-care.
The National Wellness Institute defines wellness as “an active process through which people become aware of, and make choices toward, a more successful existence.”
Nicole believes that wellness encompasses our sense of purpose, belonging, and resilience, as well as our values and vision. It represents an integration of mind, body, spirit, and soul. As such, travel has the potential to contribute to our wellness in ways that few other things can.
Read more here: Re-thinking Wellness Travel
Each morning, we will spend about 30-minutes together before heading out for our daily adventures. This time will consist of some gentle mindful movement (example here) as well as breathwork and mindfulness practices. No change of clothes or experience is required! This time is meant for us to come together intentionally as a group and to support our bodies, minds, and nervous systems as we travel.
$200 per booking will go to support the female artisans and entrepreneurs we interact with while in Morocco. We are still finalizing the details which will be shared here once they are ready.
Want to think about it? Take some time and let’s stay in touch!